Voice A Complaint

Voicing your concern - how to make a complaint.

If your complaint relates to living independently in a Retirement Village:

You can make a formal complaint by simply writing a letter or sending an email to the operator stating the issue(s), impact, and resolution that you would like. The Retirement Village Residents Assoc. has a form on their website that can help you with the complaint -

You can also contact the Retirement Commissioners Office : or phone 09 356 0052

For Aged Care:

If you're unhappy with how you or a loved one is being treated, or if you see someone else being treated the way you would not want to be treated yourself, then there are processes that you can follow to have it followed up.
Usually, the first instance is to speak to the management at the facility. That way they have the opportuntity to followup /  investigate to clarify what has happened and then resolve any issue. 
If you've approached the facility directly to sort out the situation and you're still not happy OR you prefer not to contact the facility (for whatever reason) then we would like to make sure that you're aware of the following options that are also open to you;

Making an anonymous complaint...

Advising HealthCert of dishonest / concerning situations in the health sector.
Freephone 0800 424 888 (Health Integrity Line) to supply anonymous information.

Making a formal complaint...

Health & Disability Commissioner
Freephone 0800 11 22 33

OR...If you require the help of an advocate...

Freephone 0800 555 050 or local phone numbers are available from

For more information on how the HDC's Compliant Process works...
Note: During 2014, 104 complaints that related to 83 certified aged residential care facilities were recorded. Of these complaints, HealthCERT received 37 (38%) directly, 19 (20%) through the Health and Disability Commissioner’s Office and the remaining 48 (42%) through district health board Health of Older People Portfolio Managers.


Additional options to consider:

Community Law Services offer free legal advice.

Age Concern offices around NZ offer free advice in addressing Elder Abuse & Neglect.

TVNZ's FairGo Programme - 09 916 7288


logo Image
logo Image
logo Image