Investigating elder-law in Aotearoa

Posted on : Feb 23, 2023

Investigating elder-law in Aotearoa

Although there is no set age when you should contact an elder law lawyer, the age of 60 is a rough idea of when you should start the planning process. The longer you wait to get legal advice, the more risk there is that your estate won’t be protected, as you might lose your capacity due to health issues. It is a good idea to start planning early and also involve your children to ensure that everything will work as you want it to.

Elder law lawyers advocate for the elderly and their loved ones. They’re specialists in supporting seniors whose needs differ from younger adults. Elder lawyers can offer legal advice on preparing for long-term care, health care, guardianship and other estate planning details. They can help the people you care about make decisions for you when you’re not able to do so yourself, are able to hold important documents for you and make sure your wishes are carried out when you aren’t able to control what is happening.

Start with what values are really important to you, and look for those values in a law firm who can offer a good elder support and knowledge. Ask if they are physically accessible for elderly - for example if they’re located up a steep set of stairs with no lift then they may not be a good choice! Are they well established with a history of experience with retirement villages from a resident’s perspective? If the first lawyer you choose doesn’t fit the bill, you can change your lawyer at any time, just keep in mind you’ll have to pay for work done up to that point.

WILLS: Should you exit this world sooner than expected, what would you most like to see happen to the belongings you most care about? A will gives directions so that your loved ones, pets and things will be taken care of. A lawyer gives legal advice on how to set up a will that will protect your assets and ensure everything goes to your wishes after you pass away.Whenever you go through a big life change like the birth of a child or separation, you should review your will.

EPOA: EPOA stands for Enduring Power of Attorney and is often sorted out at the same time as your will. There are two types: one for money and property, the other for personal care and welfare. Although its important the decision of who you choose is certain, remember that If you are mentally capable, you can change or end your EPA at any time.
Don’t mess around! It will usually save you anxiety and money in the long run if you’re quick to get your matters attended to sooner rather than later. You’ll need to see a lawyer before you sign any important document, if you don't, you could find out – at your cost – that the words don't mean what you originally thought they did. Your lawyer's charges will reflect the amount of time spent looking after your affairs, so to avoid wasting your money before your visit, sort out everything you’d like to discuss and only contact them if it’s essential to avoid extra charges from phone conversations and emailing.
For independent reviews on elder law providers, as well as hints, tips and users recommendations on these services in your area and throughout New Zealand visit our legal pages - click here to be redirected.